Friday, August 29, 2008

February -August 2008


With Whiskey Mike & Pa J and friends from Rizalist group at Whispering Beach


with Budyong staff, SK, Mariette Remonde, Manila Times columnist and wife of Secretary Cerge Remonde, and PASAR President Ric Santiago during Earth Week Celebration in Palompon.

Launching of Anti-Dengue campaign spearheaded by LGU, RHU, February 2008 at Municipal Session Hall.

Reading my statement of commitment/ support to LGU programs during the workshop at Juan Titang Resort, with department and section heads and key employees of Palompon LGU

Assisting Raymund R. for the powerpoint presentation during the workshop.

Starting then, my work is on covering activities of the LGU which will be published in Budyong, including E-SWAMP, LRED, Business Forum, OTOP, fishermen’s forum, NGAS seminar, public hearings, etc, it will also includes activities in the brgys and in schools.

E-swamp is a joint project of Swiss Embassy, Pasar Foundation, and LGU Palompon to 10 poblacion brgys in Palompon from Mazawalo (Lilion, kaniadto) to San Isidro (Lo-ok) including Guiwan 1 and 2, Central 1,2,3, and Ipil 1,2,3. The project is good since it will teach people to take care of the environment by disposing waste properly, and most importantly how to make money out of waste.

LRED on the other hand, is a GTZ project assisted by DTI and this was the SMEDSEP before during the previous admin, that PALOMPON has reapplied. I was also one of the participants of the LRED workshop, particularly in tourism promotion with Chedna, Rosette, Wojtek, Hazel, Rudy and etc. Because of its LRED approach Palompon hit more than 600% increase in its collection in 2008. OTOP on the other hand is One Town One Product in which Palompon is promoting boneless danggit. Our town is the main supplier of DANGGIT because of its wide shoal (hunasan) and being a coastal town, yet it was Cebu nga maoy ningsikat sa boneless danggit said LGU Consultant Herville.

And that was the cycle of my work in every month. Coverage, took pictures for Budyong, gather data, info, and then encode it, prepare a dummy, and lay-out before its printing. Maam Rachel Costelo, my teacher in 1ST year HS in PIT was once our proofreader but when she went to Israel, Maam Sonia, also my HS teacher in PIT, took her place. We increase it to 10 page on the month of March and then 12 page on April.

But was not an easy task. It took us some time before it will be finally published. We verified facts, info, and other details to make our stories, newsworthy, concise and complete details gyod. Pa J help me in doing these. He even offered us to use his own resources at his house for Budyong. He prepared food for us, and other Budyong staff whenever we stayed there in his house until wee hours in the morning. Amo gyod gisakripisyo ang among kinabuhi kay nahigugma man mi sa among trabaho ug sa Budyong.

We spend sleepless nights, travels in Ormoc even without money, kay dili mohatag ug kwarta ang silong kay ipa-reimburse na lang kuno (pero nganong ang ubang mo travel maka CA man dinagko pa gani). I remember one time, when Pa J sandals was soaked to the paint scattered along Aviles St. kadakong disgrasya!!! He found out pag abot namo sa may Dunkin donut nga naay pintal iya sandals ug medias, hehehe. We went directly to Gaisano to buy a pair of socks. AT Jojo’s house in Agua Dulce, I myself experienced sleeping the sofa while waiting for the lay-out, or sleeping at the printing plantsite didto sa may bodega, just to wait for the copies of Budyong, since the mayor will need the newspaper the next day for his travel in Naval Biliran. The printing was finished at 2:00 AM, and at 3;00 AM gihapit namo si Pa J sa Friendly Inn, while taking a nap. It was not easy. Unya ang nakasakit pa jud kay pasanginlan ka nga nag fabricate ug mga stories sa Budyong, especially sa mga oposisyon.

Mayor Tupa went on vacation to US in April 2007. Vice Mayor Lloyd Surigao was the acting mayor until June 30, 2008.

The LRED workshop was conducted in session hall and PACCI and I was one of those who actively participated. There was also series of activities spearheaded by LGU thru ESWAMP like the Earth Week celebration with Marit Remonde as guest and other officials from DENR, PASAR like Ric Santiago, Ruben Cahigas, then there was mural contest, walk for a cause, etc. waste market fair and other activities that happened for the first time in Palompon.

Mayor Tupa was still in US
But there are many things that happened on this time. May 2008 Residents of Liberty protested against Pheschem, they put barricade at the brgy. road to prevent Pheschem from entering their quarry site, Pheschem on the other hand presented a petition, urging the town officials to resume their operation. THEN there was a passionate and emotional confrontation between vice mayor Surigao and Pheschem workers at the session hall. And many other things happened.

May 2008, the fiesta season, of all of the fiesta Tinabilan ra ako natambungan sa ilang Arnel. The Congressman sponsored the livelihood training program last May 25 at social center participated by more than 400 participants. Edwin Codilla and San Mig, Magnolia has also its Cooking Demo, I was also invited by Sir Boy Pajaron during the Agro Industrial Fair in Tinabilan, few days before the fiesta, and it was very successful.

Unfortunately on May 2008, we have this travel ban, for reasons until now unknown to us. It was a difficult time for us in Budyong, since lay-outing will be done in Ormoc and we need to sit beside the lay-out artist to finish the work immediately. The May 2008 issue of Budyong was released on June 28.

Cheng, is keep on asking me if when can I have an item at the LGU, and I told her nga sige lang kay mangaplay lang ko. Ang akong aplayan kanang ubos lang nga posisyon para sigurado ko makuha. It doesn’t matter for me, ang posisyon what is important is the Item and its benefit. This is the reason why I transferred to Palompon from Ormoc kay naay chance nga magka Item ko diri compared sa Ormoc and I am confident that I can have one.

To be honest, ang akong gi-apas sa item ang GSIS contributions nako mahibalik. I have contributed with GSIS when I worked in LGU during the time of the previous mayor from 2000-until 2004 when I resigned. Another thing if I will become a regular employee, I will receive benefits such as clothing, productivity, bunoses, etc from the government, ug ang pinaka lami kung ma regular ka sa munisipyo kay pwede na ka maka utang sa PNB, Blamci, OCCI, etc. and other financing institutions, dili pareha aning JO pa ta nga dili-dili an ta sa mga lending companies. Paita oy! But I also told her that if I cannot have an Item before the end of this year it would be better for me to return to Ormoc and work there.

First week of June, I was interviewed for Administrative Aide III (Utility Worker II) which was posted by HRMO as one of the vacant position of the LGU.

June 13, Feast Day of St. Anthony of Padua, I received this good news that I was among the passers of the Civil Service Commission –Career Service Examination (professional) last July 22, 2008. In short, eligible na ko, and there’s no reason nga dili ko ma regular nganhing munisipyoha. I been working here since 2000 until 2004 and now from January 2008 –until karon (June 2008)

But I was only saddened when the PSB told me that I am overqualified as Admin Aide III, because I am the writer of Budyong. I told them that I want a regular position (any regular position) they insisted that AA III is not for me.

Karon ang akong nalibgan kay kung anhi ko mo apply sa lain nga posisyon dili sab ko qualified, kung sa ubos lang nga posisyon dili pwede kay kuno overqualified. I did not know what to do, and how to interpret these things. DILI KO MAKASABOT NILA, SIGE LANG.

So again, I applied as Draftsman, (gipili nako ubos lang nga posisyon, ang qualification ani HS graduate lang) para lang gyod sigurado nga ma appoint. LET’S SEE

Palompon was hit by TYPHOON Frank on June 20-21. our small hut in our house was damaged. We need to transfer to another location. We temporarily stay in the vacant commercial space, para duol gihapon sa ilang Mama.

Relief goods were distributed to affected brgys, especially in along the coast. Pa J and WM and other employees, Mayor Lloyd, and other officials stayed at the municipal hall and they slept there during the time of calamity. They responded to the call of the diff. brgys. Teams of officials and employees were dispatched there to help those who are in need.

On the third week of June
We were planning to put up a house in Km 2 in the land owned by my grandfather Tatay Oloy (my Papa’s father) para naa miy kaugalingong balay, but Cheng was not amenable with the idea, because of its distance and the place is isolated located on the hill, although duol sa buwangan ug sa karsada pero morag layo gihapon kay tagsa ra man ang byahe didto.

My Birthday, June 30 was just like any other day
Simple lang
But what was most devastating is that …..I was not chosen as AA III. It was a good decision for me not to report on the afternoon of June 30, because I was not included among the employees to take oath before Acting Mayor Surigao.

MAYOR TUPA returned on July 2, and then again our travel ban to ORMOC was lifted. We worked hard for Budyong and for Website. But deep inside of me, wa na koy gana. Ako lang ning gitago tagoan. I am always short in finances. I keep on borrowing Pa J, naikog na ko pagmaayo niya.

I can no longer concentrate on my work. What is on my mind is on what to eat, and where to get money for the next day, for me and for my family. My 135 pesos is not enough since I spend an average of 190 a day, and Saturdays and Sundays are not included, I don’t know what to do and where to go.

I receive some (ZTE) so to speak from my sideline but still it’s not enough. Besides what I am receiving from Ormoc newspaper is only less than 1,000 in one week. Maayo kung tua ko sa Ormoc kay mas makakuha kog dako-dako.

August, nothing has changed. And my problem grew bigger. The treasurer was suspended on the second week of August ( perhaps it was 7) and that means no salary for August 15. It’s a good thing that the good mayor made some initiative to solve this.

But still I am contemplating to resign at the LGU. Morag wa koy paglaum diri sa Municipio. Im planning to go back to Ormoc City to work and live there with my family for good.

No comments: